Some friends and I played around with making a flame speaker last weekend. We had some partial success as can be heard in this video:
I bought a new (to me) vacuum pump on ebay. The new pump is from a VW diesel, my old pump came from an old GM car of some kind.
I've been working a bit on a diy motor controller inspired but the Tumanako project. The Tumanako project is a open source AC motor controller based on the STM32 ARM cortex micro controller and off the shelf power stages. More info can be found on their homepage: Tumanako Project
I got a nasty surprise at the DMV today, there seems to be a new DMV requirement for EV conversions in California. It is no longer sufficient to have the vehicle inspected at the DMV and the fuel type change, you now have to go through a BAR referee station and you have to contact the ARB before making any changes to the emission system.
On tuesday, inauguration day, I drove the car to the DMV to get it inspected and have the registration changed to show that it's an electric car. I was quite nervous since I've never driven it further than up and down the street and I wasn't sure I would make it there and back.
Between work, chores, baby, relatives visiting etc, I have not had much time for the car and even less time for this blog. Somehow I managed to get the car done, or close enough to done to take it for a real test drive.
My Dad & Brother visiting from Sweden/England helped me push the Camry out of the way, the last obstacle on the road to an EV grin.